Northwestern Arkansas History
History of Benton, Washington, Carroll, Madison, Crawford, Franklin, and Sebastian Counties, Arkansas
Goodspeed Publishing Co., 1889
C.C. Ayers, dealer in general merchandise, was born in Fort Smith, Ark., in 1849, and is the son of Willard and Caroline (Forester) Ayers. The father was a native of Vermont, born in 1814, and was a stone-cutter by occupation. He came to Fort Smith to work on the fort and other government works erected here, and after they were finished he located here. He was married in Crawford County, Ark., to Miss Forester, who was born in Tennessee, and who by her marriage became the mother of five children, two of whom are now living, C.C. Ayers being the eldest. The father is still living, and is residing with one of his sons in this county. C.C. Ayers grew to manhood in Fort Smith, and received his education in the subscription school. The Civil War cut short his education, and although he was too young to join the regular service he obtained a position in the quartermaster department, in the Federal army, where he remained until peace was declared. Soon after the war he engaged in mercantile pursuits in Crawford County with his Uncle, J.B. Forester, and from 1871 to 1880 he was United States deputy marshal of the Western District of Arkansas. He was then appointed jailer, which position he filled for two years. His [p.1287] brother, Willard R., was killed while making an arrest of a man for larceny. After being jailer he was again in the Government employ for four more years, making fourteen years in all that he has been in the Government service. He engaged in his present business January 1, 1885 with William Feuerstine. In 1874 he was married to Miss Mattie Stephens, a native of the Cherokee Nation, and three children are the result of this union: Grant, Sherman and Mattie.